popsicle stick engineering

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 20:21:09 MDT 2006

Hey,

What do you good people use to determine how far capstans need to be
moved? (I know how to determine when the ratio is correct.) I mean
how do you physically measure how far the capstan has been moved?

This is two sticks that slide against each other held together by
heat-shrink tubing. The stud at left locates the existing capstan
hole -- and the original capstan position when the sticks are
aligned. The upper stick moves the faux capstan (which is also
adjustable up and down, threads packed with teflon tape). The offset
between sticks on the right can be measured and accurately represents
the distance the capstan has been moved.

Ballast could be added to duplicate the front weight of the key with
its original capstan.

So, what _should_ I be doing?   8^)

Kent