Good Stuff

Mike Kurta mkurta at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 28 09:12:17 MDT 2006

    OK Jack and Isaac, here's the recipe for bushing lubricant:  This is not mine, it was printed in a Baldwin service manual some years back.  I've used it for years, and as I said, I've found it AS effective and long lasting as Protek and Goose Juice (sorry Joe) and in some cases better.  The low cost tips the scale for me.

    7 parts naptha      Available at any paint, hardware or home center.  VM&P is fine, usually packaged in
                              pints, quarts and gallons.
    1 part silicone       As a trial, buy a can of any brand of silicone spray, turn the can upside down and
                               exhaust all the propellant.  Turn the can right side up and punch a SMALL hole in
                               top to fully empty the gas.  Cut the top of the can off and pour the pure silicone
                               into a measure.

                               Mix the two ingredients together in the 7:1 proportion, best to use a plastic or can
                               NOT a glass container for safety's sake.  I apply using a hypo oiler for use on tight
                               bushings anywhere in the piano action.  On stubborn cases, I soak the bushing, and
                               work the part back and forth by hand using side pressure to work the lube in.  The
                               theory here is that the naptha shrinks the bushing freeing it, and when it evaporates
                               the silicone is left behind as a lubricant.  It has little odor which dissipates quickly
                               BUT like any flammable liquid, use care and caution when applying.

                               Pure silicone is available in gallons called Clearslip#2 from Clearco Products Co. in
                               Bansalem, PA making it even cheaper to produce.  Try it, you'll like it....
                               Mike Kurta