Broadwood Hammers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 28 11:16:36 MDT 2006

I am in the process of restoring an 1844 8' grand similar to the broadwood used by chopin in england.

the hammers look original, or close to original and still have a good amount of felt.

I would like to keep the original felt if possible by softening the old and hardened felt in some way.

I am working with a piano tech who mentioned that re-felting would be ideal..

I would like to see if there is some way or restoring the resiliency of the felt with steam or distilled water and a hair drier or something..

what would be the best way?

cheers,

Max DM,
Refelt!!! There is no way, I know, of "restoring" olde, (read DEAD), Felt.
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I