popsicle stick engineering

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 28 13:57:50 MDT 2006

Kent, David, et the rest of y'all

I find myself in the position of more or less siding with Kent and David
Love here.  Actually I'm siding with Jon Page's procedure (which is more
or less where these two are pointing)  as he was the first to turn me on
to it.

If your basic regulation is really fine to begin with including the
correct spread the optimum position for the capstan is more or less a
given.  At least from an optimal regulation point of view.  In this
thinking the strike weight ratio falls where the chips demand as it
were.   Perhaps Jon might pipe in here.

Once capstan position is set and the new SW ratio taken one can decide
what to do further with regard to hammer strike weights, balance weight,
and how to counterbalance (i.e. with or without assists).

I liked this approach from the minute Jon described it to me as it
secures a kind of optimum regulating situation at the same time as it
utilizes what I like best about the Stanwood system.... namely balancing
the action.

Cheers
RicB

Kent,

Have you considered the fact that if you move the capstan to make the key
ratio change your changing the wippen ratio as well?  A more complete
picture of the effects from moving a capstan line are found by seeing what
kind of strike weight ratio a given capstan position will yield.

Helpfully hopefully,

David Stanwood