Long treble strings.

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Sun Oct 29 13:21:38 MST 2006

Hi Jon and all,

Been away for a few days visiting family, but have been following the threads.

These occurrences (that Jon mentioned below, and Clarke in another
thread on action geometry) in a piano which holds the high ground
makes one wonder just how bad things have to get before reputations
get damaged. It seems that if you surround yourself with enough spin
you can weather just about any problems which crop up.

Many claim that reputations are difficult to make and easy to break,
but the reality doesn't always seem to follow the claim if you can
surround yourself with enough spin. It seems that big business and
big governments all over the world are finding new and inventive ways
to survive without delivering anything which resembles truth and
honesty, as long as they can keep spewing out enough spin to counter
and discredit any detractors. Some of the big picture-things which
are going on around the world make me wonder if there is going to be
any future left for truth at all in the conduct of human affairs. I
hope I'm wrong, but I think the future is quite worrying.

Regarding speaking lengths in the high treble, as Del mentioned a few
days ago, 53 mm will be quite OK on C88, but I'd worry about going
any longer. That's the length we've been using on our 225 pianos,
with a geometric increase in speaking lengths down to the lowest note
on the long bridge, G#24, with a speaking length of 154 cm. Ideally
G23 should be a bit longer for better tuning stability, but with
plate we're using at present we can't go any longer. At 154 cm it has
the same % of break as the Steinway D at F21. So it has the same
basic tuning stability as this piano (all other things being equal -
which they aren't). Anecdotally, our no. 5 at Sydney Conservatorium
shares a performance space with a late model Hamburg D. The 225 has
better tuning stability which is quite pleasing since it is getting
at least as much use.

The latest Hamburg Ds that I've measured have a C88 speaking length
which is reduced from their previous (nominally) 5.3 cm down to 4.9.
It's probably intentional since their quality control has improved
some over the past ten years. S&S have got some pretty fancy gear in
their Hamburg plant, which certainly disqualifies their pianos from
being hand built. But the whole idea of building by hand is a myth
which should have been erased from the vernacular many moons ago.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers