popsicle stick engineering

Richard Moody remoody at midstatesd.net
Sun Oct 29 19:10:28 MST 2006

Kent and list....

	I have always dreamed of a "sliding stick" measuring device. Two or
more sticks sliding on top of each other to gauge , say, the inside width or
height of a window frame. You tighten a thumb screw and take the "stick" to
a template, plan, piece of material or ruler to know the exact dimension.
Imagine two sticks measuring the height of strings from the keybed. They
slide on top of each other and when the top hits the strings you some how
secure the two sticks then transfer it to a ruler or the let off bar on your
bench hammer height regulating bar.

	But this is only because no one (that I know of) has made a steel
tape ruler flat and square on the end of the case and a stable square tip on
the leading end and a better locking device. If applied to cutting material
you could tap one end or both to mark the exact cutting distance. Or a
telescoping rod like a portable radio antenna that could lock with two
square sharp edge ends to make the mark.
 --rm  (the "m" stands for Makers Mark)