popsicle stick engineering

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 30 12:24:29 MST 2006

Hi David.

And just for the record David Love... (are you listening ?)  grin... I
TOLD you David Stanwood and I disagree on some things.  Make no mistake
about it tho... I know Davids work and methods and he has all my
respect.  That said... I stand on my point here.

David S....  You can not possibly mean to say that you take issue with
the claim I make below.  It is a matter of the simplest course that an
action that regulates to a 10 mm dip, 46 mm blow, 1-2 mm let-off and
good aftertouch can recieve an appropriate set of hammers for whatever
existing strike weight ratio there is there.  Such an action is per
definition in the middle field to begin with.

As far as Kent moving the capstan alone to get a 5.6 ratio...  Again...
if the capstan placement yields anything close to the above specs...
then ok... but if those specs already exist for his 6.5 ratio (which
seems unlikely I'll admit but just so) then the roughly 6-8 mm of move
that will be needed will force a regulation that will require either a
significantly shorter blow, deeper key dip, or more let-of distance to
keep the same aftertouch.  No way around it....  lowering the ratio will
move the action in that direction.  If you at least double check your
capstan placement with the standard ratio as a guide to see in each
case... what harm in that ?

I know about Steinways relatively wide window of action regulation
parameters.  For my part.  10.5 mm and 44.5 blow is the extreme end of
low ratios.  I dont shoot for outpoints myself.  Nor do I see it is
necessary in like 95% of the cases I run into.

Cheers
RicB

     >Ric B writes: <snip>
     >if you can get a 10 mm dip, 46 mm blow, 1-2 mm let-off and good
    aftertouch
     >then an
     >appropriate set of hammers for the existing leverage should work at
     >least fairly well. <snip>
    Ric,

    I disagree with you.  In my opinion Kent is on the right track
    moving the
    capstan line to get the ratio down to 5.6.  So long as he can
    regulate the
    action there is every reason to take this course (reducing the ratio
    to 5.6
    level) in combination with a normal weight hammer (TopMedium).  The
    regulation will need a shorter blow and deeper dip.  One can
    regulate dip
    as deep as 10.5mm dip and blow as short as 44.5mm blow and have a
    perfectly
    great feeling low ratio action...

    Don't take my word for it...  Steinway specifications according to the
    Steinway Technical Guide 1992 Page 38 states  "it should be noted
    that the
    key dip can vary within the suggested range of .390 inches and .420
    inches
    for any Steinway piano" (9.9mm-10.7mm).  Page 23 of the guide gives
    a  blow
    of 1 3/4"/44.5mm for models S-B.

    David Stanwood