Thunk

Ed Carwithen edwcarw at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 12:14:42 MST 2006

I have a client with a Baldwin L, built in 1978.  The piano has nice tone and he likes it except that the tone attack is unusually wooden.  As the hammer strikes the string it has a very prominent "Thunk."  Played softly the effect is unheard, but any moderate to heavy strike has this unpleasant start to the tone.  In the top half octave say G#7 on up, there is virtually no pitch, just this whack of a noise.  I have tried to voice it out with no success.  Any suggestions???