Baldwin Monarch Micro-Grand

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Tue Oct 31 14:46:40 MST 2006

Interesting piano, Terry. Some years ago I completely redesigned one of these
pianos for Steve Ganz, a rebuilder in Portland, Oregon. It got everything:
cutoff bar, fish, soundboard & rib design, floating bass, new bass scale, etc.
The only thing it did not get was a new tenor/treble scale. As you say, no hook.
This is the ONLY scale I've ever measured that I did not change in any way. (I
did clean up the bass scale, but didn't touch the plain wire scale at all.)

When the piano was finished I gave an all-day seminar on the piano to the Oregon
technicians. The seminar was held at a large piano store in Portland so we were
surrounded by much larger new pianos. Still, the little Monarch more than held
its own. It was a beautiful sounding piano regardless of its size. Gave lie to
the argument that small pianos can't be musical.

Del

  _____