Can something be used to blast out "dogstink" from a Knabereproducer ???????

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 20:40:22 MDT 2007

     It's not a Stoddard. It's a regular Ampico "A"
( Amphion action )with "right side up" valves. ( The
earlier, Stoddard types were sub-contracted to Kohler,
I believe, so have radically different hardware,
similar to Standards. )  Upright Ampicos are rarer
than grands, and convenient because you can easily get
your knees under the keybed for hand playing.
     Ampico put their "A" reproducing system in all of
the upright brands they made, except, perhaps, Mason
and Hamlin. ( Which they bought in 1924 ).
     The "B" system was only put in grands.
Knabe would have been, therefore, their "top" upright
reproducer.

Peace,

P.S. Haven't actually looked up the serial number,
yet. Guessed 1927, based on case design.
     Hickman started working for Ampico in 1926,
designing the "B" system. He had nothing to do with
the "A", which was Stoddard's innovation. Stoddard was
hired around 1912, I believe, to come up with a
competitor to the Welte reproducer.