CA glue---all the same?

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 2 18:02:07 MDT 2007

List

  Is there any difference in the quality of various brands of CA glue?

  I have been using Lock-Tite Super Glue, and whereas it seems to work fine for various repairs, I have had a couple of pinblock treatments that didn't take.  I used A LOT of it, too.  It seems as thin a viscosity as the glue available from Schaff or the local hobby shop, so I don't think that is the problem.  I've been buying it because it's available at the hardware store down the street, and I like that it comes in such small bottles.

  But I've noticed that my eyes don't water when I use it.  Today I bought a different brand of CA from the hobby shop, and man! I had to leave the area for awhile, it was so gaseously toxic!

  I had initially thought that the last two pinblocks were just too far gone and that the glue couldn't make an impact.  Now, I'm starting to think that the Lock-Tite glue might be weaker.

  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
  Tom Sivak
  Chicago