String Installation Question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Aug 3 08:01:55 MDT 2007

Holy Hanna! Thanks Conrad. That's what I do - I simply charge a flat fee for
replacing a plain-wire string, whether it is C88 or a low tenor string. Do
folks make a separate charge if you put a center rail punching on the top of
a sustain trapwork dowel when it is rattling? If you were to actually
calculate the cost plus your markup of plain wire string, I think you'd need
a very good programmable calculator! And would you charge for the amount of
string that you clip off at the tuning pin after measuring the wire length
for your coils? I'd have smoke coming out of my ears if I tried to calculate
all that!

IMHO, charge a flat fee by using your hourly rate for however long it
typically takes you to replace a treble string, plus $5 (or whatever works
for you) for being a well-supplied (having wire with you) and well-tooled
(having the proper string replacement tools) piano technician. Newton's
suggestion is pretty darn close to my flat fee.

I guess I should say that is for most pianos. Two exceptions that I can
think of. If it is a spinet and access to hitch pin and bridge pins is
difficult - then I charge more - however long it takes me times my hourly
rate plus $5. And in cases where there are a bunch of strings to replace -
like recently I did a bar-room grand that had six broken plain wire
strings - I quoted my flat fee times six as a maximum price and that it may
cost less if the task goes quickly. I think I charged him $10 less than my
flat fee times six.

Terry Farrell