no fan of overhead fans while tuning

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Aug 3 10:28:05 MDT 2007

Amen to that Andrew. I service a lot of pianos in retirement communities here in Florida. Folks often like it around 85+ degrees. When it is 95 in the shade and I walk up to the house and all the windows are open.......

Anyway, if the fans are not on, I turn them on. I just tuned a little Cable-Nelson console yesterday in a hot-house. Fans whirling out a great beat. I hear the beating clearly, but somehow I've learned to be able to simply put it on another channel - I can tune right through it, doesn't bother me a bit. It is certainly better than dripping in sweat during the tuning!

When people do have fans on I also be sure to mention to them about the fan thing - i.e., if the piano has been sounding just fine and then one day it suddenly sounds real bad - try turning the fan off to see if the "bad" goes away.

Terry Farrell