CA glue---all the same?

Marc Lanthier (Piano Lanco) info at pianolanco.com
Fri Aug 3 18:55:47 MDT 2007

CA (cyanoacrylate) glue is basically made of two products: ethyl
cyanoacrylate and polymethylmethacrylate. Their ratios, in the final
product, determine their degree of polymerization and also their
viscosities. CA glues react to moisture ie. that's how it sets. The vapors
of these 2 chemicals are extermely irritating to the airways. If you do not
turn you head aways form the fumes as a reflex, most likely the glue has
begun to polymerize and its "active" ingredients are depleted accordingly.

There are many "recipes" to super glues. The trick is to find the correct
viscosity (for pinblocks: as thin as it comes which is about 2 centipoise -
water is 1 cps). Also you have to make sure it hasn't been sitting on the
shelf for months - fresher is better. Polymerisation is slowed by cooling
but its viscosity will increase - so store in a fridge and warm to room temp
before use.

You might think that dissolving the glue in a solvent (such as acetone) to
reduce its viscosity and make it creep more is a solution - but beware that
most solvents that are appropriate to dilute such a polar mixture are also
very prone to absorb water - which promotes its curing (acetone might have
as mush as 10 % water content).

So I suggest to try to find a supplier which has a high turn around. To do
this, you might want to note the lot number on the package and go back a few
weeks later to see if it's still the same lot on the shelf. Also, buy as
small containers as possible because as soon as you break open the spout,
you will introduce moisture - tenfold more if you transfer it to a
hypo-oiler - so use quickly.

To say to buy a specific brand, in my opinion, is misleading since it could
be a great product if used fresh but could have been sitting on the
distributor's shelf for 6 months or more.

That's all that I have to say about CA adhesives for now,

Thanks,

Marc Lanthier
Piano Lanco
514-770-7438