glue on the fingers

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 20:42:05 MDT 2007

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)

In a message dated 08/05/07 20:25:17 Central Daylight Time, deanmay at pianorebuilders.com writes:
The problem with doing all the cosmetic work, plugging, sanding, finishing the plugs, etc., is that is very expensive work. You should be charging the customer for all that time and effort, and you may be forcing them to pay for a lot of unneeded cosmetic work that they would just as soon skip. Of course that is partly a reflection of me: I am cheap and into function, and I wouldn't want to be paying $80/hr to someone to perform unnecessary cosmetic work- work that the average customer certainly wouldn’t be able to appreciate, nor their friends. The only real reason to do it is the next technician who would come by to see it and use it as an opportunity to rail against my “sloppy” work. I can live with that. In my book, I try to give my customers maximum bang for their buck and not be too worried about some other tech trying to make themselves look good at my expense.
 Dean:

I have found that it is neither time consuming nor cosmetic. To plug and clean up some holes takes about 20 minutes, and when I'm done, there aren't screws left in the wood in oversized holes to loosen later; I've seen it. And this is so that the next tech will do it right, too. To a certain extent, it's all about doing exemplary work, right?

Paul