Baldwin 9' bushing removal

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Aug 6 21:02:02 MDT 2007

Usually the lower arm of the sticker is pressure fit onto the pin in the key.
Hold a key down in front of the sticker and lift the wippen, it should pop out.
Do that for each key and remove the stack. Reverse the process to install.
You do not need to remove the hammer rail or let off rail to do this. Keep
all rails secured to the brackets.

The other possibility might be that the 'capstan' is not a true turnbuckle
(opposed threading on each shank) but a pressure fit on one side
so the wippen can be separated, I don't think this likely though.

There is an unusual amount of back lead on those keys. The action must weigh
a ton. I bet it's a hard action to play. Sticker actions are usually quite
efficient with a light to medium touch weight.

The assist springs on the wippens might be too strong, hence the egregious
amount of back lead installed. Or the owner wanted it to have a heavier touch
and back lead was the only thing that came to mind. I suggest you find a tech
who knows how to deal with assist springs and key balancing. My first
impression
is that your starting with an action left over from someone who was
well-meaning
and inexperienced.

What will you be using to install new bushings?
--

Regards,

Jon Page