Coastal Dampp-chaser calibration

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Aug 8 05:18:48 MDT 2007

There has been a lot of discussion on this thread, but I have yet to read that relative humidity (RH) monitoring has been done in the piano environment (indoors where the piano is - in all seasons). It may not matter much what the weather report says the RH is outside. How can you design a DC system without knowing what conditions you are trying to correct? I live in central Florida very near the gulf and my house never really gets above 60% or 70% RH. Your environment may be similar. And in the winter when everyone knows the RH drops to 2% in NY, well keep in mind that is in a heated environment - your 50 degree environment may be much kinder.

You say that "Some techs on this sight say that the pianos need a year-round stable environment before you would even considera any Damp-Chaser system." I don't see the sense here. If the environment is stable - and near a moderate RH - then why would you even want a DC system?

Monitor the RH and then devolop a plan to achieve your goals.

Or - just stick a rod or two in there plugged into a humidistat, forget about the humidifier if the place is abandoned during the winter, and fuggetaboutit!

Terry Farrell