Live at the Atelier: Mike Garson Trio

David Andersen Pianos david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Aug 17 14:45:26 MDT 2007

Live at the Atelier: Mike Garson Trio
With Joe La Barbera (drums) & Darek "Oles" Oleszkiewicz (bass)

What do Freddie Hubbard , Stan Getz, Elvin Jones,
Lee Konitz,  Stanley Clark,  Eddie Daniels,  Joe
Farrell,  Mel Torme, Nancy Wilson,  David Bowie,
Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Gwen Stefani,
Seal, Liberace, the L.A. Philharmonic, and Martha
Reeves have in common? The answer:
Mike Garson has played with them all.

"Improvisation is at the bedrock of my music."
									M.G.

He has written more than 4300 pieces of music; over
half are classical pieces. He has 33 sonatas,
nocturnes in every key, inventions, ballades, a
concerto,  "Symphony 5.1" (a tribute to Beethoven)
and hundreds of jazz pieces.
Mike has been commissioned over the years to write
for various virtuoso artists including Eddie Daniels ,
Al Vizutti, Jim Walker, Doug Storey, Andres
Cardenes, and Gary Foster.

To say Garson is proficient in all styles would be a
mighty understatement. By age 13, he was studying
with Leonard Eisner of the Julliard School, Lennie
Tristano, and Bill Evans. Then there are the other
projects, like playing all the piano parts for the 1988
ABC TV biopic "Liberace" (Garson duplicated the
flamboyant pianist's chops with uncanny accuracy)
and his work with jazz-classical fusion ensemble
Free Flight.

"Mike Garson's music is the closest embodiment of
the spirit and emotional depth, the ruminative and
aesthetic complexity, of the magisterial Bill Evans:  no
other pianist
in my lifetime (of which there are those few essential
masters never to be dismissed) has spoken from the
pianistic, melodic, and improbable bowels of musical
surprise as often, as thoroughly, and as enticingly
satisfying as this humble, profound artist of the very
highest rank."

Jim Merod, BluePort Sound---
onsite recording engineer/ jazz writer

"It is pointless to talk about his ability as a pianist. He
is exceptional. However, there are very, very few
musicians, let alone pianists, who naturally
understand the movement and free thinking
necessary to hurl themselves into experimental or
traditional areas of music, sometimes, ironically, at
the same time. Mike does this with such enthusiasm
that it makes my heart glad just to be in the same
room with him."

							David Bowie

"He took us through a journey that encompassed at
least 50 years of American jazz and 100 years of
European classical music. He transformed Over the
Rainbow in a fashion that would have pleased Art
Tatum, Bud Powell and Lenny Tristano... Sometimes
he alluded to the melodic theme; at other times he
utilized it only as a springboard for surrealistic
improvisation.......

He displays a thorough knowledge of the classical
giants, a thorough knowledge of the elusive art of
improvisation. He brings all of these elements into a
new light through his personal, unique vision."
			Lee Underwood---Downbeat Magazine

My friends---This level of praise and acclaim is
beautiful, but you know I can't fully demand you to
come see this concert unless I've been directly,
experientially affected by this artist---and I have. Mike
and Tamir Hendelman did a duo-piano concert last
year, and the high point of the concert, for me, was
the quietest, sweetest rendition of a song Garson
wrote for his daughter---it was luminous, and
powerfully emotional, and a spiritual experience,
which is just exactly what I want.

Ladies and gentlemen, do not delay.  The Mike Garson
Trio, with a purported very special guest, will rock the
Atelier.

I'll be there, with bells on. I hope you will be, too.

Please join us for a magical afternoon.

Live at The Atelier: Mike Garson

DATE: Sunday September 9, 2007
TIME: 2:00 PM
LOCATION: The Atelier
RSVP: Jenika 310-457-5604

Coming Up
Live at the Atelier:Tamir Hendelman

September 23rd, 2007

2PM

More Tamir Hendelman - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=cewxtdcab.0.8bnmwdcab.xksck5bab.644&ts=S0271&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tamirhendelman.com
---

Coming October October 7, 2007     2PM

Mario Feninger

More Mario Feninger...... - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=cewxtdcab.0.acnmwdcab.xksck5bab.644&ts=S0271&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mariofeninger.com
---

And November 4, 2007    2PM

Terry Trotter

More Terry Trotter - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=cewxtdcab.0.ecnmwdcab.xksck5bab.644&ts=S0271&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mamajazz.org%2Fpages%2Fbiotrotter.html

Call Jenika
or email us and let us know how many will be
coming and we'll give you all of the details.

We'll see you soon---for a magic afternoon...

David Andersen Pianos

email: david at davidandersenpianos.com
phone: 310-457-5604
web: http://davidandersenpianos.com

Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101602572631&ea=pianotech%40ptg.org&a=1101780473986

This email was sent to pianotech at ptg.org,
by david at davidandersenpianos.com

Update Profile/Email Address
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&m=1101602572631&ea=pianotech%40ptg.org&se=644&t=1101780473986&lang=en&reason=F

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&m=1101602572631&ea=pianotech%40ptg.org&se=644&t=1101780473986&lang=en&reason=F

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Email Marketing by
Constant Contact(R)
www.constantcontact.com

David Andersen Pianos & The Atelier | Ocean View Ave | West Los Angeles | CA | 90066