Charges

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 00:33:15 MDT 2007

On 8/18/07, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I know a lot of shops that charge for a minimum service fee.  They may
> charge $50 or $60 an hour, and if their work only takes half an hour, they
> still charge for the full hour.
>
> What if you went to a new clients home to tune, and upon doing a
> pre-tuning inspection, found a split bridge among other problems, that would
> render the piano useless to tune until those problems were fixed?  I would
> hope that you would at least charge a flat service fee, whether it's an hour
> or whatever.
>
> Matthew

Hi Matthew,
The scenario you've outlined is quite different from the initial question
and I have no quarrel with your statements.
If I find a situation such as you describe, I give the customer a written
estimate, on the spot if possible or if not, by mail as promptly as
possible. I charge an estimate fee, equal to my hourly rate. I will apply
that fee toward the total bill, minus tuning, for a minimum of 6 months, the
amount of time the estimate is valid. I believe it helps take the sting out
of not getting the piano tuned but still having to pay and helps customer
relations by applying it to the work when I do it. I lose nothing since I
can plan the work when I do the estimate saving time when I come back to do
the job and of course a little cushion for "incidentals" helps even things
out too.
Mike

--
Michael Magness