"Vapors" From CA Treated Pinblock?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 22:25:13 MDT 2007

On 8/20/07, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> > As I was sitting there the piano tipped on it's back on my tipper adding
> > the CA, my eyes burning and watering, I sat back for a moment to breath
> > some fresh air. I saw some vapor, it looked a little like cigarette
> > smoke eminating from the TOP of the piano. This is one of the old
> > Wurlitzers with the brown felt glued to the top and this vapor seemed to
> > be coming from it. I watched it for another moment or 2 and it gradually
> > stopped.
>
> And how did it get to the top of the piano if not through a
> block separation? I'd think that's evidence enough to justify
> scraping off the felt and doing some structural triage.
>

> > By the way I'll take whatever heat you dish out for "saving" this fine
> > specimen! <grin>
>
> It quite possibly ain't saved just yet, however deserving.
> Ron N

Good point, I return tomorrow for the tipup and tune, I'll check it then. I
used the very thin CA I'm thinking it probably flowed through the wood but
it is possible there's a seperation, Wurlitzers are good for that. I think
that's one of the reasons they switched from the felt to the 1/4" plywood on
the tops. It's just possible the CA filled the opening if it's a small
enough one.

--
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service