Preference on piano wire

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 15:28:22 MDT 2007

I have used the Mapes IGS on 2 pianos in the last 2 years with no sign of
any rust or tarnish. I live & work in close proximity to the Mississippi
river in Wisconsin, these pianos are in the same home one in the walkout
basement. I used cornstarch on my hands and in the box of tuning pins, then
blew the residue and vacuumed out the piano after I finished stringing

There has been a recent string on this site, started by yours truly entitled
"Stringing Faux Pas or Not Taught Anymore?" In which myself and others
weighed in on types of wire and the use of cornstarch, talc, gloves etc. to
protect wire from hand oils, thus reducing the risk of tarnish/rust.

I am not a fan of the "wipe it down with Protec afterward" method since we
aren't certain of the long range effects of Protec on hammers, etc. I also
wonder if the coils, becket, tuning pins, sides of the wire (between each
unison and note), termination points(bridge, hitchpin, agraffe,bearing
point), etc. can be thoroughly cleaned with Protec after stringing.

--
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
email mike at ifixpianos.com