Reinforcing sharp-key tips with CA , prior to Spurlock sizing caul apllication.

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 17:25:01 MDT 2007

      Just as I suspected would happen; as soon as I
tried stuffing the Spurlock mortise sizing cauls into
these damp sharp mortises, hairline cracks appeared in
the bit of wood between the mortise's front end, and
the tip of the key. Not good! So I quit, and I'm off
to get some plastic clothes-pins and CA, and reinforce
this bit of wood ( on all the keys ) with  a drop of
thin CA, and put a  clothespin on them. ( Both the
ones that split, and ones that might have microscopic
fissures, already --and just to strengthen them all. )

     Anyone else tried this, or a  similar technique?