long term grand storage

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 22:44:38 MDT 2007

On 8/27/07, A440A at aol.com <A440A at aol.com> wrote:

> Joel writes:
>
> <<  My situation is a grand that is
> new, but has been in storage 2 years and will likely remain there
> another 3 or more.
> I'm wondering what happens to the felt bushings?<<
>
>       The moment arm between the two sides of the hammer flanges is not
> only
> shorter,(hence, providing gravity with more leverage), than from the pin
> the knuckle,(which is supporting the weight of the hammer and shank), but
> the
> entire weight is bearing on the two bushings.  Normally, the weight is
> bearing
> on the bushings and the jack.  This would seem to increase the distortion
> of
> the flange bushings.  However,  I took care of several road pianos that
> traveled many thousands of miles, in a semi trailer, on their sides, and I
> never
> found any evidence that the bushings were compromised.  Surprised me!
>
> >>Is there any relief  for the weight of the hammer on the bushings?>>
>
>        You could set the piano up,(or take the action out), and clamp a
> padded rail above and below the hammers, fastening it securely to the
> action
> brackets.  this would keep the weight from being applied to the
> bushings.  I don't
> know if it would make any difference, though.
>
> Ed Foote RPT
> http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html
> www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html
> <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of
> the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>

I would also have a concern about the key bushings since all of the new
grands I have seen arrive, usually have a rectangular piece of wood under
the keys at the front of the action between the underside of the naturals
and the keyframe. It's usually wide enough to lift the keys a little, I have
seen some where it had been slid in between the front rail pins for
the naturals and the front rail pins for the sharps.

--
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
email mike at ifixpianos.com