Piano dolly

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 16:39:01 MDT 2007

On 8/28/07, Michelle Smith <michelle at smithpianoservice.com> wrote:

>  Ok, I got a set of the heavy duty piano dollies for our local federal
> prison.  (They move their Yamaha console on a regular basis and the casters
> are getting loose.)  Do I need to use the handy piano tilter (there are
> holes on the bottom) or can I use the holes on the back?  The less tools the
> better in the prison.
>

> Thanks all.
>

> Michelle Smith
>
> Smith Piano Service
>
> Bastrop, Texas
>
> (512) 466-0238
>
> michelle at smithpianoservice.com
>

> I have found the holes in the back to be next to worthless without bolting
> through the bottom as well. The lag bolts used in the holes in the back work
> loose and you then have a problem. I've always bolted the back holes first
> to hold the dollies in position. I then tip it, WITH HELP, since the tipper
> won't work as well with the dollies on the piano. I'm 6'4" and weigh close
> to 300 lbs. so I'm not kidding when I say you'll need help! I then use 2" x
> 5/16 grade 5 bolts after drilling holes through the bottom board. I use a
> large flat washer about 1/2" size, with a smaller flat washer 5/16" to keep
> the nut from pulling through, a lock washer then the nut. I do this on both
> dollies and you'll have a permanent installation! The large washer is to
> disperse the pressure of the bolt/dolly over a larger area so it doesn't
> pull out easily.

I have installed about a dozen of these sets of dollies and have always
followed this procedure after seeing the sloppy job done by school
custodians who are given the job. When I had someone my size to help, I
stood the pianos on end, it worked much better than tipping on the back with
a tipper but I realize that's not for everyone! <grin>

--
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
email mike at ifixpianos.com