What are benefits of new shanks on upright hammer replacement ?

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 10:51:14 MDT 2007

I've decided to replace them, for all of the reasons
cited, plus adjustablity during installation, etc..
But I'll rebuilding the butts with Ecsaine. According
to Bob at Pianotek, it is less fricative than
buckskin, but he hasn't quite convinced Tokiwa to use
Ecsaine on the upright butts yet ( like they do on the
grand knuckles ). As I'm dunking the butts in
SuperClean, and rinsing, they'll be good and wet, and
the shanks will just pull out. Then I'll dry them on
nylon hardware cloth from the garden section at
Lowe's, with 1/2 inch mesh, stretched over a  frame,
and then refelt, etc..

    Thanks!