Piano Cleaning

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Fri Aug 31 20:42:21 MDT 2007

Hi Ginny,
Have not responded to this post asI have been thinking on it.
I myself do not change the front or balance rail punchings that often.
Here in the high moutian desert of Idaho the critters do not usually eat
the punchings as they do on more humid areas.
Pianos that are moved here from other areas or over 75 years old are another
matter.
Usually there is enough body left that only a four step approach is needed.
One, careful gathering of the large items ( pictures coins bobby pins and
copious ammounts of lint )
This limits the number of vacuum bags needed >g<  I use the vacuum of the
house whenever it will do a sood job.
Two, initial vacuuming of all keybed area with thin attachment.
Three, brushing down of keybed area to loosen 40 years of grime with #333 on
my site.
This is a stiff brush that one can knock loose most of the solid dirt and
clean the punchings and key end felt.
Four, final vacuming.
I would wonder what the chems would do to the friction, mayby nothing. The
above way only takes 5 minutes not including removan and replacing the keys.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com