little Wurlitzer

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sat Dec 1 03:28:05 MST 2007

    Yes, other companies made mini-uprights or whatever the correct term is.  I always wondered if they were made during the Depression, or simply for people who couldn't afford a full-size piano, or if they were for children, or for small apartments, or what.  Most boats large enough to be considered a "ship," as I understand them, are large enough to have even concert grands in their ballrooms, such as the Titanic or Queen Mary, so I don't quite understand the term "ship's piano," unless they were for very small ships.  Even some lounge cars on some of the streamlined passenger trains managed to squeeze in a baby grand.
    But anyhow, a friend of mine has a 73-key Lester that has single bass strings and 2-string unisons in the treble.  I have a 73-key Hensel, made by Hardman, Peck & Co., that has 2-string unisons in part of the bass, and 3-string unisons in the treble.  Hardman, Peck also produced player consoles, player spinets, and other oddball pianos, some with short keyboards, and many of which are nightmares to work on.
    But I love my Hensel and used it for years as my "gig" piano, because I could roll it up a ramp into the back of my pickup by myself.  Only occasionally would I "run out of" low bass notes, playing stride or ragtime.  A friend of mine performed Beethoven's "Pathetique" on it and had no complaints.  Many jazz musicians used it and were surprised as its ability to fill the bill as a usable, decent piano, even tho' it appeared as a toy at first glance.  So I disagree that they're only for rank beginners.  It sounded much better than the average spinet and some consoles.
    Then there are the 64-note players made by Aeolian, whith the "Melodigrand" name on them, I believe, and which have drop-actions, but look like shrunken studio uprights (as do the 73-key mini-studios mentioned above).  The Melodigrand was put in a "road case" in the 70's and 80's for rock bands that wanted a portable "acoustic" (as opposed to electric) piano.  They had Helpinstill pickups mounted behind the strings, and special bass strings with copper-plated iron (I was told), rather than pure copper windings, so the pickups would amplify them better.   The 64-note keyboard is too short for most pianists, but 73 keys are sufficient for at least 90% of piano repertoire.
    --David Nereson, RPT