David Andersen's whole-note tuning

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 18:58:30 MST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 3:04 PM, Scott Jackson <ScottWayneJackson at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think that I have missed something basic here. Is there a simple
> definition of the term "whole-note tuning"? I did search the archives, but
> that just confused me more. Is there a journal article or book that I
> should
> read? Or do you need to attend a seminar by David to get it?

You probably should search for "Virgil Smith."  Or, "natural beat."

There are probably more definitions, but simply, it is tuning unisons as you
go.  The different way of listening is that you don't consciously focus on
individual partials.  You listen to all the partials blending  together, and
try to focus on the natural beat.

It would probably be helpful to read Virgil's book.  I was fortunate to have
attended his class two different times.  But I've not yet purchased his
book.
--
JF

www.formsma.blogspot.com