Whadayathink of this piano sound?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 2 08:20:46 MST 2007

> I have covered myself in opprobrium and I now grovel shamefully in it.

No no, don't do that! I was letting you know that if you heard
Steinway in there, it was either the lingering ghost of the
you said, judging the sound from the name. Sort of like
recognizing old Bessy from the taste of the hamburger. Hey, I
even removed the mystic bell, and put in a brace and nose bolt
instead. Not many of the original patent features left in that
piano.

> I was remarking to Kent how in my area there are lots of late 19th
> century quality uprights, and how at that time you could see makers
> experimenting with design features.  In today's commercial world there
> seems to be much less inclination on the part of piano makers to do do.

Yes, and it's a shame. Manufacturers now have a design kit of
off the shelf "features" to stick into the initial CAD drawing
of any new design with what seems to be little apparent
understanding of it's contribution to the ultimate function of
the instrument. No one needs to understand, or try to find
out, how anything works to do that, so few bother. Even most
of those that do care stick very close to the center of their
established path so the pianos produced still too often have
similar tonal problems to those they produced a hundred years
ago when they quit prospecting and started mining. Some few,
thankfully, are still doing some prospecting now and then.

> The bottom line is that I'd love to hear it live, to fully apreciate it!

In person, it's very - lush.

> I always enjoy the fascinating technical stuff in your posts Ron, and
> your humour.

Thanks, but it *is* just me, after all.
Ron N