left-handed tuning

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sun Dec 2 09:39:40 MST 2007

Les:

I can't 'splain it, I just do it.  I've tried left handed and though
there are several jobs I do naturally left handed, tuning isn't one of
them.  I really, Really wish I had become ambidextrous as I was learning
but now at my age the attempt is too slow and the result too painful to
pursue that goal.  My hammer technique has changed somewhat over the
years, now mostly driven by the damage to my tuning hand.  The biggest
improvement has come with the purchase of a Fujan tuning lever.  I use
the long handle because it makes tight pins easier to turn and because
there is NO flex in the lever as there is in "normal" tuning levers that
are extended.  Since it is so stiff you feel every movement and makes
your tuning that much better.  So I'm still learning new techniques,
it's just that left handed tuning isn't one of them!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu