Charlie brown Christmas

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 06:57:58 MST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 7:15 AM, Brian Doepke <bdoepke at verizon.net> wrote:

>  Every year I listen to the original recordings for the Charlie Brown
> Christmas show….and every year I hear some very out of tune notes. Please
> allow me to finally ask this question.  Was this done on purpose?  Or was
> it an oversight?
>

> *Brian P. Doepke, (dep-kee)*
>
> *R.P.T. (Registered Piano Technician)*
>
> *AAA Piano Works, Inc.*
>
> Piano Tuning-Repair-Purchase Consults
>
> *260.417.1298*
>
> *260.432.2043*
>
> *    www.aaapianoworks.com*

Hi Brian,

The longer you tune the shorter the list gets of recorded music you can
stand to listen to. A lot of recordings were done over and over until they
got it "perfect". The problem being the more times they had to go over the
piece they were banging away on those same notes mildly pounding them out of
tune on each pass. Some concietious musicians or producers notice this and
have a tech standing by for touch-ups, others don't and those are the ones
you will find you won't be able to listen to.
Learning to tune can enhance your enjoyment of piano music but it's a double
edged sword that can also destroy that enjoyment. All of the twangs and
sqwauks of a piano that was poorly prepared or was used too long in
rehearsal and not retuned for the performance will become very glaring
problems to your well-trained ears. I find I pick and choose my concerts
according to the care the piano gets regularly and who they use as their
tech.
My wife has become so accustomed to me changing the radio station abruptly
she doesn't ask why anymore, she knows now that the piano in that recording
was particularly bad.
<grin>
Mike

--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging
their prejudices.
email mike at ifixpianos.com