Techniques for recording a Steinway D

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 8 21:27:36 MST 2007

I should add to my personal endorsement of the Kawai PR1 system that
you want your castors tight, legs tight, lyre tight and trapwork
quiet when miking under the piano.  The benefits are:
	greatly reduced/eliminated damper swoosh
	reduced/eliminated hammer percussive sound
	reduced/eliminated string noise in the ultra high partials.
	much less room interference and good noise isolation
The Kawai mikes are mounted to beams with velcro underneath the
bridges.  The treble one close and the bass one further down.  You
should be able to do this with good unidirectional mikes.  But you
will have to replicate the EQ, panning etc on your equipment rather
than dialing purpose designed ones up on the PR1.  Of-course Pros may
wish to avoid those and have more control... (or headache depending
on you're point of view).

Good luck,
Andrew Anderson