Lack of low frequency response

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 8 22:35:59 MST 2007

Hi Dale.

The piano I am looking at in particular has no obvious plate binding...
and I cant find anything underneath either.... tho I can certainly look
closer.  But really.... this particular instrument has just jogged my
mind about a host of instruments I've run into with this basic sound picture

Lets assume for sake of discussion that this is a soundboard
construction issue.  I'm interested in what different kinds of
soundboard configurations could cause this.  What would happen for
example if you took two 12 mm thick soundboards... both with shallow
wide machine crowned ribs... one board under a lot of compression, the
other not  ?  And what other kinds of possibilities might cause this
affect ?

Cheers
RicB

    Yes what Jon P. said
      I've had this anomaly in two pianos.  Each time the top end of
    the bridge
    was binding against the plate.  However the notes directly below
    the first
    two or so notes weren't' effected much.  Yours has the  entire bass
    sounding
    odd.  Hmm Check both ends of that bridge.
      Also it can be so many other things. pick one.
     Dale