Lack of low frequency response

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 8 22:42:32 MST 2007

Thanks Roger.

Wide and tall... pointing in the direction of too stiff ?...  I wonder
how much compression there was in these boards ?.  Please read a couple
of my other replies... and let me have some further thoughts.  In the
mean time I'm going to take a couple measurements on the nearest
Zimmerman upright I can find :).... rib dimensions and soundboard
thickness..

But what grain directions and what that forces in terms of rib length..
?.  What about the idea that the middle part of the soundboard could be
not stiff enough, causing the panel to break up into many small
<<tweeters>> as it were... preventing the panel from vibrating as a whole ?

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,
                    The few Zimmerman's I have seen, the ribs seem way
    too wide
    and tall,  This may account for part of it.  Lot's of other scaling
    issues,
    around the tenor break.
    Maybe the thinking was big crowned ribs, no problems with flat
    boards???????   Just a guess.

    Regards Roger.