Becket

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Sat Dec 8 23:33:45 MST 2007

I've seen this several times. It's usually when detensioning (heavy, old) bass strings that it happens.You might check the archives for comments by Newton Hunt, Jim Coleman, etc.

I used the term "presumably" about the cause being stress at the bend because I don't really know, it just seems like a logical reason for a snapping point. Maybe I'm all wet but that's okay, I know how to swim.

The technique of keeping tension on the coil was not my idea; I got it off the list at some point. I don't really and truly know that it makes any difference, either, but it makes sense to me--especially when restoring tension to old wire.

Your newish string-break was likely a defect in the wire. But that's a presumption, too. A metallurgist or materials engineer could probably tell you, if you took him/her your remnant for a microscopic look-see.

BTW How's the view from inside my stomach? Next time, please take your shoes off and wash your feet before jumping.

Alan Barnard
Not offended in Salem, MO