Lack of low frequency response

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 9 04:20:26 MST 2007

Hi Greg

In the piano I am actually working on... we have a low tension scale, SB
that starts at 9 mm at the belly rail and tapers very gradually and
evenly to 5 mm at the tail.  Rib crowned board with ribs going roughly
parallel to the long bridge... grain going roughly perpendicular... the
ribs dimensions I'm going to have to dig out again.... but they are in
general wide and shallow by modern standards.  Very long back scale as
its an old straight strung instrument... Roughly 0.5 to 0.7 degrees
residual downbearing in the bass and low tenor... about 1 to 1.2 degrees
in the top.

I'm thinking there is too much downbearing... and will reduce.  This is
a new board.  The thing is.... I've heard this sound before... and I've
received very dependable advice that the reason has to do with too
LITTLE stiffness in the middle part of the soundboard... front and left
of the low tenor area.  The reasoning being that too little stiffness
there will cause the soundboard to vibrate in many small individual
areas... and poorly as a single whole.

It might make sense if one stops to think that very old pianos may have
had quite a bit more compression stiffness built into their panels with
these shallow and wide rib structures.  Using the same rib structure on
a new panel but using rib crowning to account for whatever cross grain
stiffness instead would perhaps simulate an old panel that had lost its
compression strength... and hence stiffness.

So... in general I'm looking for reasons in general for the way it is.
But at the same time I want to build a bit more body into the tone. This
despite the fact that all the folks who've played this so far have just
loved the sound.  To my ears tho... its nasal and thin... just a bit
more then I'd like to live with.

So I'm fishing for thoughts on the matter.

Cheers, and thanks for your thoughts.  Please continue ! :)

RicB

    Ric,
        To be sure there are many factors that probably play in to this but
    how long is the backscale length? Is it short and trapping the bass
    bridge?
    I'd sure think that a thick board in the bass region would also
    produce a
    too stiff assembly. How much downbearing is there? Too much in the bass
    could choke the sound I should think. Can you tell if the board is
    tapered
    or not? If so, where? As a possible solution short of a new board
    could you
    rout a channel in it to make it more flexible? Are you rebuilding
    this or
    just looking for reasons that it is the way it is?

    Greg Newell
    Greg's Piano Forté
    www.gregspianoforte.com
    216-226-3791 (office)