capo work

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 9 16:15:57 MST 2007

Try filing capos on newer Hamburg instruments.  Even very good steel
files feel like they are slipping over glass. They harden the capo now
over here and go with about a 0.7 mm profile... a bit more rounded then
in earlier years.  I dont think it helps their front duplex tradeoff
problem much myself.  Just had to do one because of some fellows very
aggressive string leveling procedures. The fellow actually managed to
make some significant dents in that capo.  6 year old D.

Cheers
RicB

     >The scraping idea is intriguing...although I've never found cast
     >iron hard to file...

    No, nor have I, but to achieve a perfectly regular 2mm or other
    radius along the length of the bar using files strikes me as a bit of
    a challenge.

    JD