capo work

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Dec 9 17:45:50 MST 2007

capo workDavid,

If you want to keep the same profile, I've made a mold with wood epoxy as the substrate and emery cloth to shape.  Mix up a tube of wood epoxy (the tootsie roll lookin' stuff, place the emery cloth, face up on the wad of epoxy, and press and hold against the capo to form the mold.  Take it off and let it cure, then you have a custom shaped capo file.

Works for me - if you like the original profile.

William R. Monroe

  What are techs using to file capo bars before restringing?   I've read that guitar fret files were being used...I'm interested in the type of file and any technique used.  I'm thinking a 2 mm radius...?   I am reading the archives on this and some good articles in the Journal...

  David Ilvedson, RPT
  Pacifica, CA 94044