Instability puzzler

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Sun Dec 9 19:12:29 MST 2007

---- Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:
> What is it that you suppose is compromised by open end grain
> at the doglegs?

What do YOU suppose makes a vertically laminated bridge superior to a cut bridge?  (Your cronies can insert there jokes here, about magic cups to catch the sound that leaks out of the end-grain.)  IMO, it's not so much about exposed end grain, as continuity of grain along the entire length of the bridge.  A cut bridge has no continuity, a laminated bridge does, and a laminated then cut bridge has some, but not as much.

>I do this routinely, and am very pleased with
> the result. I see only benefits.

I am not impressed with such testimonials.  To say you get good, or even excellent results does not mean that there might not be an even better way.

Frank Emerson