Nuclear Rant was Re: problems reading posts

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:00:41 MST 2007

I do not even know the person who posted to me on this, asking me to apologize to Marshall .... So this is a generic reply to any like-thinking person...

Using the term "Sight challenged" and the nature of your post causes me to make an assumption about YOU. Forgive me if I'm wrong, and I do not mean any offense toward you, but this is an extremely important issue and I WILL speak up.

Visually impaired, blind, partly sighted, one-legged, asthmatic, and terminally goofy (like me)  people are perfectly normal folks with perfectly normal abilities  to participate in intelligent(?), witty(?) repartee and humor with other normal people, to laugh, to cry, and, in this case, of course, to be all grown up in their terrific abilities--including the ability to decide for THEMSELVES whether or not someone is intending offense and, i.e., they don't need or want YOUR help. Even more important they can decide FOR THEMSELVES whether or not to take offense, regardless of whether offense was intended or not.

If you worry about being "politically correct" and think our friend in Chicago (or anyone else) needs special, kid gloves treatment, then you have just insulted the hell out of all of them and it is YOU who must examine your heart and come forth with the requisite apologies.

Political Correctness is one of the greatest evils of our age. It is a direct, nuclear assault on our freedom of speech. I condemn it utterly.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO