YC action bracets

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Tue Dec 11 11:41:32 MST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>
To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 3:46 am
Subject: Re: YC action bracets

Did the brackets also expand - I presume they did - you didn't say?

Yes, they had.?The most obvious discrepancy was with the wippen rail. When?I put the bass end on, the hole on the rail was about 3/8" off from the hole in the bracket. I had to wait until I got all of them on before I could attach the wippen rail.??
?

I don't often go out on a limb like I will here, and I'm not trying to launch an attack on anyone, but it seems to me using an unsure?jack-to-knuckle relationship on?two notes?to be a somewhat perfunctory approach to setting action spread. Again, I don't mean to pick on you Wim, but many folks with much less experience that you and me?read these posts and might think that the method described below is at least as good as properly measuring the distance between action centers. If this method worked well in this case, so be it - but IMHO I think maybe you got lucky. I should think it very easy to be off several millimeters - or more. I mean how much longer would it take to grab a caliper and measure to be sure? Seems to me about zero longer and no more difficult.

?

Terry?

I know I was taking a chance by relying on the jack position. But I had nothing?to loose. If it didn't work, I had the option of going back to square one. I gave the customer a high estimate for the job. It took me about half the time, so?she's going to be?happy, too.?

?

Now, on a more positive note - Wim, how did you do that small picture thing - where you post a small picture and have a link to a full-size picture. That is wonderful! How did you do that?

?

I have no idea what I did to get the picture so small. I just took the picture with a camera, loaded it into the computer and attached it.

Wim

Sincerely,

?

Terry Farrell