Samick grand

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Dec 11 11:50:10 MST 2007

I second Dave's post, Ron.  You need to adjust the spring tension by massaging the spring which is done in place, no need to remove the spring, just use the appropriate tool, like the Hart tool, or make one.  That adjusting screw is only for very fine tuning, not gross adjustments such as you need to make.  I'd recommend setting the adjusting screw about 1/3 of the way in from it's weakest point, that way, on down the road there will be more room for tightening as needed.  Then, proceed with roughing in the tension, then return to the screw for the last fine adjustment.

William R. Monroe
  Ron,

  In addition to adjusting the screw--which is meant to be a fine adjustment--it is necessary to strengthen or weaken the spring itself to get it in the ballpark.

  Dave Stahl

  I have a Samick grand that I just reggulated.  All through it, the repetition springs were too strong.  You could feel them kick the key, all through the keyboard.  The problem was that the adjustment screw was at the lowest setting and it didn't seem to make much difference.  When I put the action back into the piano, it clicks pretty bad.

  On note #1, I actually took the spring out, weakened it and put it back in the whippen.  It works great but was a nuissance to re-install.  I'm deading doing this to the whole keyboard.

  Anyone have any better ideas?

  thanks
  Ron