Czech, please

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 11 22:17:16 MST 2007

After waking to a cold dark house courtesy of last night's
local ice storm, I spent a couple of hours + today with the
second call on the only Petrof I've serviced. Did an hour and
a half of regulation touch up, and voicing down the rock
hammers, followed by tuning and further voicing touch up.
Altogether on the high side of average, I'd say. One of the
complaints presented this trip was the low tenor honk, which
some needling and Vise-Grip mass loading indicated could be
made tolerable. Next tuning, I'll bring the means and we'll
kick brass. I didn't much like the feel of the pinblock, and
the bridge pins were already producing false beats, but aside
from these standard features (and the near universal rock
hammers), I am favorably impressed. I've seen a whole lot of
new pianos that were a whole lot worse, which is an
endorsement you can build whole ad campaigns on these days.
It'll be interesting to follow the deterioration rate of the
thing through the years.

Ron N