plastic flanges

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Thu Dec 13 00:45:10 MST 2007

    Wooden ones are better.  Schaff has 2 types of (non-Schwander) wood flanges -- one for Pratt, Read actions, and one for Aeolian products.  The old catalog said the photos of the flanges in the catalog were "actual size," but they weren't.  I don't know about the new catalog.   I just finished replacing all the hammer and wippen flanges on a 1948 Winter spinet.  (Why people want to put money into these things, I don't know.)  Anyhow, in the process 18 damper flanges broke also, sometimes just by looking at them crosswise.  A lot of them were already cracked, but it's one of those things you don't notice until you've got it on the bench under bright lights, not, of course, when you're doing the estimate.
    Usually, if one breaks, more will, so replace 'em all, especially elbows and butt flanges.
    --David Nereson, RPT