Decal adhesive/Music rack needed

Al Pebworth al at pebworths.com
Thu Dec 13 09:48:28 MST 2007

Annie,

I would get a small can of clear varnish, and a very small tip artist brush.
  Dip the brush into the varnish, wiping off the excess as to not have
 a drip, and carefully go between the strings and coat the edge of the
 decal, using a very light touch.

Then immediately use a pencil with a good eraser to press the decal
 against the sound board.  After getting it a flat as possible, go over the
 edge with the varnish, cavering the edge and a small strip around the
 edge with the varnish.

You can even coat the area of the soundboard where the decal will lay
 and carefully press down.  If pressure is needed to keep it down as it
 drys, precut some strips from a cardboard box, and slide between the
 string down to the top of the decal.  Try not to go over the edge as the
 cardboard could stick to any varnish outside of the decal.

Good Luck!!

Al

Al Pebworth
Pebworth's Player Piano
http://www.pebworths.com

Annie Grieshop <annie at allthingspiano.com> wrote: Good Morning All,

Decal:  is there a simple way of re-adhering a decal to a grand soundboard?
Yesterday's Kohler & Campbell had the weirdest buzz in F#4... which turned
out to be the edge of the decal "tickling" the strings.  I don't know what
adhesive is appropriate to use (and suspect the customer would rather I not
remove the decal entirely).

Music Rack:  does anyone have a spare music rack to sell (or illustration of
one) for a mid-'90s 40" Baldwin "Classic" vertical (model 655 in oak)?
Someone apparently tore the original off the piano -- and given its previous
home, that's not outside the realm of possibility.  I wouldn't mind making
one, even if it's not exactly like the original, but I'd like it to at least
reflect the same general style.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Annie Grieshop