Czech, please

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Dec 13 12:11:43 MST 2007

Hi Dave

Having done my first few years of piano work on Story and Clarks,
Wurlitzers, Betsy Poss's and the like I was impressed #¤%&`\!~less when
I first came across a Petrof 110 upright here in Norway.  Since then
I've come to realize that for the money... they do pretty well compared
to the similiar priced competition..... especially when it comes to
basic musicality.  But I've also come to realize that for that money one
has to expect that at least some significant corners have been cut. The
... wages in Czechoslovakia argument doesn't quite get it any more.  I
think you will find as time goes by, experience with higher quality
pianos will temper your outlook on them abit.  Still... like I say... I
have this love hate affair with them.  They can be made to sound and
perform wonderfully... but IMHE they dont stay that way very long.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ron and Ric,

    I tune several Petrofs, and have found them to become quite stable
    tuning-wise over a period of time.? Three are uprights, and one is a
    grand.? The grand hasn't been in my care for a long enough time to
    offer long-term impressions.?

    I was not the first tuner for any of them, so I'm not sure if
    they've been voiced by the previous tech or not.? I like the soft
    tone them, though.? A nice piano to tune at the end of the day...

    Have not had huge issues yet, but little hardware nickle/dime things
    like rubber grommets on the mute rail (upright) and the screw that
    holds it in place etc.?

    They do well with home use, they might be hurtin' in an
    institutional setting.

    Dave Stahl, RPT
    Dave Stahl Piano Service
    dstahlpiano.net