winter spinet

Noah Haverkamp noahhaverkamp at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 15:21:27 MST 2007

  I think the point David was making  was (in so many words): if you are happy with your Winter, great.  But for  most folks with the technical knowledge of pianos combined with a desire for  musicality - a Winter will not do.  Lipstick on a pig, as it were.   Further, when someone has to hire me to do work on a Winter,  basically  everything we do exceeds the value of the instrument.  The client must  understand that, and if that's OK, then, as Mike Magness said, [it all spends  the same].

 True, you won't get much piano if you  spend $400 on a new(er) one instead of putting it into your Winter, but it  DOES exceed the value of the piano.  And, if your client desires an  instrument that has some moderate level of responsiveness and tone, a Winter is  not the piano for them.  I am comfortable recommending against any client  considering purchasing a Winter without ever seeing it.  There are far too  many better options.

 A piano is not your wife, BTW.   That analogy really doesn't fit.  I presume your wife is worth investing  in.  ;-]

 William R. Monroe

I must admit, that as I continue to encounter a variety of pianos, my perspective is changing. My awareness of the value of a piano is displacing my naivete that comes with inexperience and ignorance. I used to think a Kawai studio sounded dull, but now am appreciating the clean sound of it (though i would still prefer something grungier).

As to the wife analogy, I think it's worth considering. Although my wife resembles but a little my piano, yet they both belong to a group of entities that can be either discarded or salvaged. Don't you think that in a more ideal world (and that is somthing worth striving for) the divorce rate would be smaller? Similarly, useful objects would be repaired more. Perhaps for discerning musicians a spinet is not "useful." But for thousands of regular people, a spinet IS useful.

Noah Haverkamp
Know-a Piano
http://www.knowapiano.com
347-308-0094