Czech, please

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 14 00:08:58 MST 2007

Ooooo... I know a lot of Yamaha and Kawai dealers who would not at all
like to hear the comparison you make below.  But ok... low end Yamahas
and Kawai's actually get eaten up sound wise by Petrofs...

I agree that they have something appealing that fits your "sweet little
pianners" description... and in a far more positive sense then a similar
statement made about Betsy Ross pianners some  years back here.

As for Bohemia..., while going in the same basic direction in most
regards as Petrof... I find them even more cheaply built.  We had a
small grand at the UiB and within the first year the Pedal block on the
Lyre just fell off... not glued on well... :)  There are all kinds of
buzzes, creakings and grumblings and the thing doesnt really have the
charm of Petrofs IMHO.  They get bright quickly also...and when they do
they get really ugly me thinks.

I've got about 25 years and well 1000 Petrofs under my belt. They have
their up sides and end up being my favorite cheap piano... but a cheap
piano they remain. I think by and large we kind of have the same picture
of them.  Nice thing about them... it can make a piano tech shine :)

Cheers
RicB

     HI Ric,

    I'm wouldn't ever compare Petrofs to Steinways, Masons, Bluthners,
    Bosies, Seilers, etc.  IMHO, though, they offer an alternative to
    Yamaha and Kawai, just as the other Czech brand Bohemia does.  They
    are sweet little pianners for the $$ spent(as opposed to $$$$$
    spent).   Not a great piano, but musical, and a good value.

    As for durability, I suspect they might suffer under a heavy load of
    hard play in an institutional setting--but they aren't alone there,
    either.

    Dave Stahl, RPT
    Dave Stahl Piano Service
    dstahlpiano.net