Boesy Capo Problem

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Dec 14 08:31:10 MST 2007

Interesting problem.  1890's Boesy.  The heavy metal capo bar is held in
place by several bolts running through it and held down by some cap nuts.
Apparently in the rebuilding of this, the threads on both bolt and nut were
compromised so that as the piano was being tuned the nuts let go and popped
(probably shot) off.  So the bolts need to have the threads recut and the
nuts replaced.  Not a big deal but I need some advice on re cutting the
threads.  The outer dimension of the bolts is .268".  Can anyone suggest the
best approach for this, tools, thread count, etc..  Machining type work is
not exactly my area.  BTW  I'll have to send some photos of the bass
stringing (eastern European rebuilding job).  You won't believe it.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com