winter spinet

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sat Dec 15 02:42:51 MST 2007

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Noah Haverkamp
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:12 AM
  Subject: winter spinet

        From: "David Nereson" <dnereson at 4dv.net>
        To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
        Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 00:45:10 -0700
        Subject: Re: plastic flanges

  "....I just finished replacing all the hammer and wippen flanges on a 1948 Winter spinet.  (Why people want to put money into these things, I don't know.) ...."

  Why? Because I intend to keep my wife, my only one, for atleast one lifetime. I wonder if there's a connection between superfluous trash and divorce rates? If something can be fixed, and it serves a valuable purpose, then it should be fixed. I own a 1935 Winter spinet and have no problems with it. I recently did some work on and sold a 1949 Winter spinet and the owner is delighted. Our society's preoccuapation with "if it's broke, don't fix it" is like a disease.

  Noah Haverkamp
  Know-a Piano
  http://www.knowapiano.com
  347-308-0094
  Fax: 718-701-2071

      Oh, I pull all kinds of stuff out of the dumpster that people throw out, and fix it up and use it or recycle it.  But when a lesser name spinet is worth only $500 - $1000 in the first place, why put $2000 into it when you could put that much down on a new console or studio upright?  I feel like I'm wasting my rebuilding skills.  It's like dumping a couple $grand into restoring a Pinto or a Chevette.
      --David Nereson, RPT